EW Community TV Show Episode Guides and Recaps from EW's Community

'Shadowhunters' roundtable: Interrogation or flirtation?

Season 1 | Episode 3 | “Dead Man’s Party” | Aired Jan 26, 2015

Each week, EW Community Contributors Terri Clark and Zakiya Jamal, both passionate fans of Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments series, will discuss the newest episode of Shadowhunters.

SPOILER ALERT: There are minimal spoilers from the books. Read at your own risk. If you have NOT read the books, what are you waiting for? Nothing, and we mean NOTHING, beats them!

Zakiya: Alec’s sass is unparalleled to anyone’s. People are always talking about Jace, but Alec’s one-liners are the best.

Terri: I loved “What, are you her spokesman now?” But I have to add that Jace’s reaction to Clary saying, “When you saved my life, I put my trust in you,” made me snort-laugh. WTF acting choice was that? He looked like he accidentally swallowed a gnat.

Zakiya: I agree with Clary. Why are there so many screens in the Institute? And seriously, who are these people walking around? AND WHERE IS THE CAT?

Terri: It’s a very different Institute. Looks like CSI: Shadowhunters, only no one in the building ever talks to them, let alone helps them.

Zakiya: I appreciate Clary’s level of sass in this episode. She’s not having any of Izzy, Alec, or Jace’s rationales.

Terri: “While we consider other options, my best friend is suffering. Is that something Shadowhunters understand, or am I just being a mundane?” Go, Clary!

Zakiya: “I know where to get what we need.” That doesn’t sound suspicious at all, Jace.

Terri: I found it laughable that Alec was concerned about sneaking out and getting weapons when NO ONE pays attention to them!

Zakiya: Teaching someone how to do something is such a romantic trope, but I love it in this instance. At least the chemistry between Jace and Clary is working onscreen.

Terri: I saw more sexual innuendo than chemistry, but I do see some sparks developing.

Zakiya: Parabatai = the bromance to end all bromances.

Terri: Ah, but for some Jalec fans, the wish is for something much more. I, however, am not one of those fans.

Zakiya: Neither I am. #TeamMalec4Ever

Zakiya: All right, so this whole Camille wanting the mortal cup plot is new, but I’m not completely against it. It’s an interesting twist, and I wasn’t expecting Camille to show up this soon.

Terri: Agree on all counts. I also thought Kaitlyn Leeb did a good job conveying Camille’s icy sway.

Zakiya: Well, things just got really hot in here. Meliorn doesn’t look like what I expected at all, but that scene was crazy good.

Terri: I’m thinking this episode would be better titled “Shadowhunters Get Their Sexy On.” And yes, he did not exude the passion I expected from Meliorn, or even match that of Izzy. She sizzled; he fizzled.

Zakiya: Okay, I know in other shows, vampires have the ability to use compulsion. Is that also true in this series? Because I honestly don’t remember.

Zakiya: Ew, Simon, please don’t drink that. Also, Izzy is the queen of seduction.

Terri: Did anyone else wonder who poor Mary was?

Zakiya: True. Who is Mary? I didn’t even pay attention to the mention. Also, I totally forgot about Jace stealing the bike. I love that bike!

Terri: I want to ride that bike! I’ve also got to say, Izzy’s outfit for invading a vampire’s den is totally impractical. Couldn’t she have changed after, ahem, “interrogating” Meliorn?

Zakiya: Agreed. I know her being sexy was a big thing in the books, but I feel like it’s being a bit overdone on the show.

Terri: Yeah, subtle isn’t in her vocabulary. Or her wardrobe.

Zakiya: Camille jumping up because she smells angel blood is so dramatic. The acting on this show is very up and down.

Terri: And may I add, painful at times?

Zakiya: Yes. Yes, you may.

Zakiya: I love how Clary’s so distressed by the fact that Jace has never been in love—as if she’s been in love multiple times.

Terri: In my head I heard Clary say, “Challenge accepted!” Okay, that might’ve been Barney Stinson, but you know that girl wants to be his first. Speaking of falling in love, my favorite moment came from Clary and Simon. You could see joyous wonder light up Simon’s face when he thought she was declaring her love for him. Then she went and ruined it with two words: “best friend.” His despondency spoke volumes, as did the reactions of those watching.

Zakiya: Seriously. “You’re my best friend.” Right in the feels. Also, I’d add the moment where Jace asks Alec why he helped if he doesn’t even like Clary, and you can just see the stress on Alec’s face. There should be a handbook called How to Tell Your Parabatai You’re in Love With Them. It’s going to be necessary for the characters in Lady Midnight, that’s for sure.

Terri: Are you sure there isn’t a Dummies or Complete Idiot’s guide for that kind of thing? Oh no! Simon just noticed Clary’s pulse. We know what that means …

Zakiya: Ah, yes. Vampire Simon is alive and well. All in all, that was an okay episode. I’m still not fully on board with Shadowhunters but I do think it’s getting better. The lack of Magnus, Luke, and Valentine in this episode was upsetting. #StillWaitingForMalec

Shadowhunters airs Tuesdays at 9/8C on Freeform (formerly ABC Family).