EW Community TV Show Episode Guides and Recaps from EW's Community

Ezra's Force powers mean new questions on 'Star Wars Rebels'

Season 2 | Episode 11 | “Legacy” | Aired Dec 2, 2015

****Begin transmission****

Before proceeding, please be aware that this is a spoiler zone. Reading the following will be much more understandable after viewing the content of Star Wars Rebels‘ new episode, “Legacy.” Proceed at your own risk.

****End transmission****

Before I even start, I feel I should admit that, with Star Wars: The Force Awakens being eight days away, I have almost no chill and focus is hard. Basically, I’m Ezra. I hope you’ll forgive me for any goofs or silliness.

From the moment Ezra’s vision/dream started, I was nervous. I don’t even know why. Maybe it’s because his visions have been misinterpreted in the past and I don’t want Ezra to get hurt. But you know as well as I do that once Ezra has got his mind made up, he’s going to do whatever he’s set out to do. That means Kanan and Hera are going to help. It’s what you do … for family.

Looking for family

Nice tidbits out of the little meetup between the Inquisitors, the Admiral, and Agent Kallus: 1) No one seems to think Fifth Brother can do anything right. 2) Kallus respects the Rebels. I think that’s smart. Respect your enemy’s abilities and learn from them.

Of course, this is all just setup for the Empire heading to Garel. In force. Like, no kidding. Y’know, that’s another thing I like about this show. They show the Empire as occupiers, using their numbers and weapons to force people into line. The visuals work.

I love how, in one scene, we get the total yin and yang of Ezra Bridger—OMG, WE HAVE TO FIND MY PARENTS/zen meditations, focus on your feelings/OMG WHERE’S MY HELMET!?!

Zeb and Chopper really are the “delinquents.” Point, Sabine. Additional points to Sabine for being awesome and remembering so much strategy from her time at the Imperial Academy.

In all seriousness, I think we need to talk about Ezra. From the OMG WE NEED TO GO to the look on his face when he ran toward the Inquisitors, there are too many feels in this kid for my comfort, and I’m worried that Kanan doesn’t see it. Like, literally. Kanan only saw the aftermath of the Force push to Kallus and Ezra’s back when he ran toward the Inquisitors. But I also think part of it is that Kanan feels for Ezra, so he understands the emotion. Hard to be objective.

See what I mean?

Just when I got ponderous, the show went and gave me an incredible action sequence, complete with Hera being a TOTAL BADASS.

Go Hera!

Kanan was pretty kickass too.

Flying badass

Add the girl power of Sabine and Hera taking on a Star Destroyer and Hera’s flying—Hera clipping that tractor beam is some of the best flying I’ve seen in Star Wars. Once again, Story Group, I challenge you to find a way to pit her against the “top” pilots in the SWU. I want to see what happens.

Plus (little prezzie for you Kanera shippers): “Don’t worry, she was looking after everyone long before you and I came along.”

Much as I worry that Kanan’s love for Ezra might keep him from seeing certain things, I loved the discussion they had in the shuttle. Taylor Gray does vulnerable well and, while Freddie Prinze, Jr. doesn’t take Kanan to that softer side often … when he does, it is really effective.

Confession: I got a little bored with the search once they hit Lothal. Aside from making me want a white Loth Cat, it was a chase sequence without any real stakes, since it was a setup for a joke. I dunno. Just … eh.

White Loth Cat

My attention perked up again the second Ryder Azadi spoke, because I’m an olllllllld school Clancy Brown fan. (Why’s that watermelon there? I’ll tell ya later.) I’d know that voice anywhere. Having him be the one to tell Ezra the story about his parents and, eventually, their death was a perfect casting choice. I don’t think anyone else could have pulled it off.

Feels

Definite feels.

The last few minutes were full of emotion, actually, and I have no doubt there will be a few tears out there. As Ezra says goodbye to his parents, it’s comforting that Kanan is there to remind him that he’s not alone—in the spoken sense that his parents are with him and, while it’s not said outright, so is he.

While I may worry about what’s to come for these two and whether or not Ezra is going to go deeper into sides of the Force I’d rather he avoid, in this moment, I’m so glad they have each other.

Jedi

That’ll do it for me. Until next time, may the Force be with you.

Star Wars Rebels airs Wednesdays at 9:30 p.m. ET/PT on Disney X D.