EW Community TV Show Episode Guides and Recaps from EW's Community

Best Podcasts of the Week: '12 Hour Day,' 'Out on the Lanai,' and more

Every week, I highlight some of the best podcasts released over the past several days. This week: One of the longest podcasts ever … and more!

12 Hour Day with J.D. and Connor, episode 7: March 14, 2015

Disclosure: I haven’t even finished this episode. That’s because it is 12 hours long. In fact, each episode of this podcast is 12 hours long, as you may be able to ascertain from the title. Who is insane enough to record themselves for 12 hours? Is it brilliance or plain narcissism? Am I the fool for listening? (I’m about four and a half hours in).

Who is it who deem themselves interesting enough to be recorded for 12 hours a day? In this case it is J.D. Amato and Connor Ratliff, two comedians in New York City. Although the podcast is not laugh-out-loud funny per se, they do, as it turns out, have interesting things to say. They talk about everything from air travel to television shows to an in-depth discussion about Elvis Costello to writer’s block, among other topics.

The idea seems crazier than what it actually is, which is just interesting conversations you are eavesdropping on. As an introvert who can’t imagine spending 12 hours straight with anyone, period, I’m fascinated by the way they engage the time together; it’s fascinating on a social level. I can imagine this would be good for a long road trip, or just when you feel like you need some good company. However, getting through one episode takes longer than it does to watch most television seasons.

Out on the Lanai, season 2, episode 2: Chris Farah

Golden Girls fans can talk about The Golden Girls incessantly without ever getting bored. Many of us have seen episodes several times, and in fact, could probably recite them line for line.

So a podcast discussing each episode is more than welcome. In fact, why did it take so long for this to happen? H. Alan Scott and Kerri Doherty, writers and friends in L.A. (no, it’s not a law that all podcasts must be hosted in L.A.) are superfans and experts. They host a guest each episode to watch and analyze an episode. The guest usually speaks about what the show meant to them or how they came to love it. This week’s guest, Chris Farah, recounts that as a daughter of immigrants, for her the show came to represent the ultimate in American happiness. H. Allen and Kerri have a delightful chemistry, with Kerri more of the Dorothy and H. Allen more of the Rose. The show always ends with a “Golden Takeaway”—a lesson or moral learned from the show. These turn out to be more applicable to modern life that you’d think.

This time around, they discuss the episode “Ladies of the Night,” which happens to be one of my favorite episodes. In it, the gals win tickets to a party with Burt Reynolds, only to be mistaken as prostitutes and taken to jail. And wouldn’t you know it, hilarity ensues. Sophia calls Rose to pretend she won a sweepstakes; Dorothy convinces other inmates she was sent to a man’s prison; then comes one of the best moments ever—the final line of the episode. Even just hearing someone else reaffirm and repeat the funniest lines is satisfying for a fan. Will listening to Out on the Lanai transform you into a Golden Girls fan? Perhaps.

Slate TV Club Insider: Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck companion podcast

Slate‘s pop-culture podcasts are always well timed to be available as soon as something is released. Therefore, if you are dying for some discussion about a show the minute it is over, a podcast is right there for you, inviting you to revel in your reactions. Last night, the new HBO documentary Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck premiered, and I haven’t stopped thinking about it. Good thing Slate is hosting the official HBO Documentaries companion podcast with director Brett Morgen. If you were ever a Nirvana fan, this film is amazing. If you were never a fan, this film will make you, at the very least, have a high regard for Cobain’s influence on society and music as a whole.

As always, you should also download and listen to our EW Community podcasts, This Week on Shameless and Clear Lists, Full Drafts. What are some notable podcasts you listened to this week?