EW Community TV Show Episode Guides and Recaps from EW's Community

'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' nostalgia react: 'Revelations'

Season 3 | Episode 7 | “Revelations” | Aired Nov 17, 1998

There are two main kinds of Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes. There are the fun, lighthearted episodes that maybe do a little to advance the big season arcs or touch on the plan of the Big Bad, but mostly, they exist to be fun and wonderful. The sixth episode of season 3, “Band Candy,” is a perfect example of this. Often, those episodes are really, really memorable and amazing.

The second kind of Buffy episode is the big, “IMPORTANT STUFF IS HAPPENING” kind. These are the episodes when secrets come out, big characters die, and/or the Big Bad of the season takes center stage.

“Revelations” is the second kind of episode. It sees Buffy’s secret about Angel come out (she’s been nursing him back to health after his time in Hell, and nobody is really jazzed about that, what with the maiming and torturing and killing he was doing throughout the second half of season 2). Also, we meet Gwendolyn Post, a Watcher who claims the Council sent her to take over with Faith (and evaluate Giles and Buffy). Really, she’s a rogue Watcher in a way Wesley Wyndham-Pryce would never be; she’s after the Glove of Myhnegon, which gives its wearer great power and proves she’s as evil as she seems.

More evil than anything she does or wants to do with the Glove, however, is what Gwendolyn Post does to Faith on an emotional level. Faith lost her last Watcher, unable to save her. Gwendolyn takes Faith under her wing and, in spite of being crazy and strict, resonates with her and quickly becomes a parental figure. She also reinforces Faith’s fear that she’s not really accepted by Buffy and the Scoobies. So when Gwendolyn goes all evil and has to be put down, it practically breaks the already fragile Faith.

I know: It sounds all dire and serious, and when I think about this episode, that’s all I can usually remember—the dire, serious stuff. But the great thing about rewatching is the chance to remember all of the little moments that get eclipsed. If you had asked me a week ago to list the most somber episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I might have included this one. After all, some big, important stuff does happen, and the title is so … important. “Revelations” is a big noun to throw out as your title. But this is Buffy, and even the most serious episode has its light moments. Her are four of those moments that I forgot about until I rewatched the episode:

Giles being super-chill while Buffy and Faith are slaying.

Giles Revelations

Just moments before we meet Mrs. Post, we get a glimpse at the well-oiled machine of slayage that Buffy and Faith have become. They’re so good, in fact, that Giles literally sits and casually reads while they take on two vampires. He barely even looks up. And we he does, the look on his face is one of priceless amusement.

Buffy’s reaction to Gwendolyn Post:

Gwendolyn Post Revelations GIF

Giles: That was bracing.
Buffy: Interesting lady. Can we kill her?
Giles: I think the Council might frown upon that.

Gwendolyn Post’s snooty reaction to Giles’ (epic) library:

Gwendolyn Post: Mr. Giles, where do you keep the rest of your books?
Giles: I’m sorry, the rest?
Gwendolyn Post: Yes, the actual library.

[INSERT ADORABLY CONFUSED GILES HERE.]

Gwendolyn Post: Oh, I see.
Giles: I can assure you, Mrs. Post, this is the finest occult reference collection …
Gwendolyn Post: This side of the Atlantic, I’m sure.

Gwendolyn Post‘s death scene:

Gwendolyn Post death scene revelations

SO. GOOD.