Wil Wheaton recently posted some sad news for fans of his and The Wil Wheaton Project. Syfy announced it will not pick up the series for a second season and, while Wil’s taking the news in stride, I’ll admit to being bummed about it because I really liked the show.
Still, it’s always better to remember the good than the sad so I thought I’d run down a quick list of 5 things I liked best about The Wil Wheaton Project.
5) Being greeted every week with the words “Hey nerds!” Not only was it great to have a show that was directed at a nerd audience, it was a sincere greeting from one nerd to another. On national TV. That was a first in my experience and I hope it’ll lead to more shows that realize nerds are a demographic to be talked to and not about.
4) The videos Wil and the team put together for the show were not only amazing, they went viral. I’m not sure anyone else could have imagined and then executed videos like these: “If True Blood Were An 80′s Sitcom” and “Literally Everything Else From Your Childhood: The Movie”.
3) Wil’s unbridled passion for doing the show. From excitement on the first day to his pride in how the show was getting better and better (and it was, for sure), Wil was always 100 percent open about just how much fun he had making the show and working with his writers and crew.
Additionally, I’d like to toss a shout out to everyone behind the scenes at TWWP. I had a chance to go to a taping and everyone was super, super nice. Kisses to Josh and Jill!
2) The variety of guests Wil welcomed. From Felicia Day to Andy Serkis to Ian Ziering to John Barrowman (squee!), you always had someone fun and interesting to watch. Wil also made me look forward to segments and games like “How Will They Bite It?”, “Shoutouts”, and Neil DeGrasse-Tyson’s stoned Cosmos.
1) But the thing I’ll miss most of all? Skeletor reading angry tweets. This may be one of the best “bits” I’ve ever seen and I would love to see this continue on in some way, somewhere, forever.
Finally, there is one more thing I’ll miss. I’ll miss recapping the show. It’s been a blast and I really appreciate people reading it. I also appreciate EW giving me a place to write about a little geek show with all sorts of heart.
Thanks for reading and I hope you’ll be back for one of my other recaps soon.
Play more games!