EW Community TV Show Episode Guides and Recaps from EW's Community

BBC America

Image Credit: BBC America

'Intruders' recap: Sleepless in Seattle

Season 1 | Episode 2 | “And Here You Must Listen” | Aired Aug 30, 2014

Welcome back to Intruders, where if you think you know what’s going on, you’re probably not paying attention (or you read the book). Our sophomore outing is titled “And Here You Must Listen,” as if we didn’t have to listen last week. I listened anyway; I promise. I still have questions. I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Finley Beach, Oregon

Allison O’Donnell (Sonya Salomaa) can’t find her daughter Madison anywhere. She’s called the cops, along with her husband Simon. A fight with Simon sent Allison to this beach house in the first place, but that doesn’t seem so important now. They embrace, and he wonders if Madison “went looking to find what happened to her parents.” She’s probably old enough to know that a fight is not a geographical location, but sure. Cope how you will. It feels like Simon is trying to guilt his wife into forgiving him, but if he is, that street goes both ways. Allison has been having an affair.

That truth comes to light courtesy of Special Agent Shepherd, who promises to help find Madison but refuses to show ID. Did he lose the ID that he flashed Judy Anderson before he killed her, or does he just get off on being dark and mysterious? Shepherd patrols Madison’s bedroom, where he finds the sand dollar smashed on her nightstand and asks her parents a series of hilariously specific questions like, “Did she ever say that she had to go to Portland to visit a Mrs. Ng in Chinatown?” Why yes, actually. Why is he wasting so much time with her parents if he already knows exactly where she is?

intruders102 portland

Portland, Oregon

Madison is at the train station, having already visited Mrs. Ng in Chinatown. She flips through the book Mrs. Ng gave her, embossed with the same 9 as Shepherd’s card. The book contains an envelope of cash, a set of keys and a train ticket to Seattle. Madison studies them like she’s never seen them before, and it occurs to me that we don’t know what she was like before all of this. Aside from her sudden bout of violence with Loopy the cat, may he rest in peace, the transition from Madison to whatever is inside her is rarely so abrupt. It’s never clear who exactly is in charge of her at any moment.

Madison stands in line for a train to Seattle and reads the book, which insists that our idea of life is all wrong. The idea that we get one life, and that it ends in death, is just a lie told to scare us into submission. “That this book is in your hands,” it reads, “proves that death is not punishment. There is no such thing.” No such thing as punishment? Or no such thing as death? Just to make this all even creepier, the narration is laid over images of a bunny decomposing and the statue of an angel in a cemetery. (Two executive producers on Intruders worked on Doctor Who. I know a Weeping Angel when I see one.) When Madison gets to the front of the line, she’s refused a spot on the train. They won’t seat unaccompanied minors. Her pupils wide, she tells off the ticket taker and stomps away.

intruders102 madison

Shepherd breaks into Mrs. Ng’s place, and she scolds him for what’s happened to Madison. She says, “I know who he is. No book was made for Marcus Fox. He won’t understand it,” but she definitely gave Madison a book. Either the book wasn’t intended for Madison, or she’s not Marcus. Has it been confirmed that she is? I feel like if I watch this show long enough, I’ll start to question my own name. Shepherd kills Mrs. Ng and looks for Madison at the train station. She hides under a car until the coast is clear, then offers a woman all of the money in her envelope in exchange for a ride to Seattle.

El Cajon, California

Oz Turner, podcaster and conspiracy theorist, is dead, but his legacy lives on in the many other tricked out vans that broadcast from the middle of the desert. Tim Truth is the latest. He’s got a photo of Turner on his dashboard, and he’s using his podcast/pirate radio hour to remind listeners to never forget. Turner’s death has officially been ruled a suicide, but Tim doesn’t think it’s a coincidence that he died after naming Qui Riverti as the secret society responsible for the murder of Judy and Matt Anderson. Tim wants Bill Anderson to know that he and his listeners will never stop fighting. Tim will probably be dead soon, with the way things have been going.

Seattle, Washington

Since he still hasn’t heard from Amy, Jack stops by her office. It’s every bit as weird and depersonalized as it sounded on the phone; the entrance doesn’t even have a receptionist. There’s just another phone. He asks for Amy, and when the figure of a woman comes around the corner, he gallantly drops to his knee with her cell phone outstretched, but the woman is just another employee. She leads Jack to Todd Crane, one of the partners at the firm, who says that Amy isn’t in Seattle this week. What is Amy’s work situation, exactly? Does she usually work from the Seattle office? How far is Seattle from Birch Crossing? As Jack leaves the office, figures watch him from behind frosted glass.

intruders102 crane

His friend keeps calling to ask why Jack hasn’t returned the car (hope you didn’t have any important plans, friend), but Jack ignores him and searches for the cab driver who found Amy’s phone. Word gets back to dispatch, and the driver, George Bracken, meets Jack at a bar. He admits that there was a man with Amy, and that she creeped him out. She said that she was from Russia. She was with the Czar’s secret police, and she assassinated a labor strike leader in 1883. Jack flashes back to a dream he had the night before, in which Amy spoke Russian and talked about herself in the third person.

Jack gets George to show him where he dropped off Amy and her friend. It was a block from her office, but when George drives a few blocks farther, they find a condo building that Jack recognizes from a photo on Amy’s phone. Todd Crane drives into the parking structure. Was he the one in the cab with Amy? Before Jack can ask, he and George are accosted. One of the men pulls a gun on Jack, but the other stops him from pulling the trigger because “she said no.” George is out of there. Jack can figure out who “she” is all by himself.

Jack finally answers his friend’s phone call. He can’t even remember what excuse he initially gave for needing the car, but whatever it was, he was lying. He admits that he’s looking for Amy. The phone clicks, and suddenly Amy’s on the line. She’s home, and she wants to know where he is. Were the last few days just a panicky fever dream?

intruders102 jack

Jack is shaping up to be the most sympathetic character so far, which means he’s probably got a few skeletons in his closet. We still don’t know how his career ended with the Los Angeles Police Department. He seems to have been a good cop if his instincts in Seattle are any indication. Did this second episode answer any of your questions, or just add a few new ones to the pile? Are you hooked yet? Let’s talk about it!

Advertisement

Here, EW superfans lead the conversation around TV shows. And there are so many shows to talk about! Our community contributors post and share throughout the week on latest episodes.

Want to join? Click on the links below.

Join Now FAQ

Latest Videos

From Our Partners

TV Recaps