EW Community TV Show Episode Guides and Recaps from EW's Community

mainimage2

'Atlanta Exes' recap: Shady dealings

Season 1 | Episode 3 | Aired Aug 25, 2014

We find the ladies exactly where we left them: bickering shamelessly at Tameka’s T-market, although now, Torrei’s friend has to be held back, and there is a lot of mean talking coming from everyone. Only three episodes in and Atlanta Exes does NOT disappoint in the areas of extreme lady- drama and catty in-fighting.

Later, when Sheree gets the rehash from Torrei, Torrei declares it’s her new job to keep Tameka “accountable” and resolves to be the one to keep Tameka in her place. It never goes well when alliances start to form, especially this early, so I am worried things are going to get ugly before they get cute again.

Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 10.59.51 AMLord knows I love a good scandal, and I’m not above being intrigued by a little cheating drama, but I think Atlanta Exes might be trying to sell us something we don’t really need. When Sheree visits her completely unnecessary friend Monica to hear what Tameka’s said behind her back, Sheree gets more than she bargained for. Monica tells her that Tameka thinks Sheree slept with Usher. Sheree denies it, but there is a lot of side stepping about the situation, and even though she seems a little vague about the situation, Sheree emphasizes they were only friends, “with no benefits.” Instead of going straight to the source, however, Sheree declares she must talk to Torrei about it.

AE1Christina, with the cutest braids ever, meets her new man-friend for a cute painting date and she immediately springs the “Where do you see this going” speech. His cute smile doesn’t get him off the hook, and he charms his way out of answering it outright. Christina, on the other hand, confesses her fears of commitment, and Willie talks about “building a friendship.” Red flag, Christina.

But Christina waves her own red flag when, on their second date, she tells him about her inability to have more children. He keeps his cool about it, but I can’t help but think Christina needs to pump her brakes a little. Sheesh. Its been five minutes. Willie doesn’t mind, and they decide to move things forward, “one day at a time.” You have to love reality TV, when you can discuss infertility on the second date.

Sheree invites Monyetta over for a spa day, and they discuss Monyetta’s current situation with Ne-Yo. Sheree, gotta love her, urges Monyetta to get back out there and start dating. Sheree seems so fun, why would anybody be mad at her? She doesn’t even judge Monyetta when Monyetta confesses to having her ex’s “government name” tattooed on her. She seems like she would be the exact lady to befriend if you just broke up with your boyfriend. She has some really good insights and offers Monyetta some invaluable advice about lingering in a situation that is not good for you. I’d listen to her.

Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 10.58.51 AMMeanwhile, Christina invites Tameka over to see how they can all move forward. Christina is such a mediator, she seems genuinely interested in keeping the peace. Tameka stands her ground about Torrei coming with a bad attitude and admits Torrei pushed her to her breaking point. (We differ on this point, but I’ll let Tameka have this one, since it was a really terrible time for Torrei to air her beef.) When the talk turns to Sheree, Christina tells her about the texts Sheree got the night before the T-market, but Tameka isn’t really eager to see Sheree’s side. She claims she’s too old for the “she said, she said, she said” stuff and dismisses it almost immediately. Sweet Christina nudges her in the direction of reconciliation,  but Tameka is reluctant.

AE2Monyetta invites Christina over to share her experience with her thyroid problems since Christina has Graves’ disease. Christina is such a calming influence and offers positive support to Monyetta, and her advice is almost directly opposite of Sheree’s. Christina tells her to spend time on herself, whereas Sheree thinks she should be out trolling the town for newbies. Monyetta confides to Christina that she had her tubes tied as a result of a decision she made with Ne-Yo, and Christina empathizes with her to the point of tears. Monyetta’s loss is so fresh, you can really see her struggling not to be bitter and undone. Christina offers an empathetic shoulder to cry on, and at this moment in the episode, Monyetta really needs it.

AE3From one super-sweet scene of genuine friendship, to completely different scene of friendship with Torrei and Sheree, I might have suffered from a little bit of whiplash. Sheree, as much as I love her, suffers from run-tell-that syndrome and might have a bit of an overshare problem. She tells Torrei all about what Monica said and they both agree that Tameka should have come to Sheree to talk about it first—while they talk about it without her. Sheree takes this opportunity to deny the rumors about sleeping with Usher once again, and Torrei decides to seize this opportunity to get something off her chest. Its always trouble when one of the exes  wants to “put it all on the table.”

As predicted, the ish hits the fan when the ladies meet at Christina’s invitation. She thinks getting everyone AE4together will help solve the issues of the group, but apparently she doesn’t watch as much reality TV as we do. Tameka can barely hide her disdain when Torrei and Sheree arrive. She accuses Torrei of being ratchet at the the event and coming with “bad energy.” Torrei doesn’t like that and retaliates with harsh words. A back-and-forth ensues, and Christina tries to mediate, but it falls apart soon after. Tameka goes on the defensive and airs her accusations along with some new stuff about Christina’s new man, Willie.

AE$Tameka tries to dial it back, but it doesn’t go as well as hoped. Things devolve pretty quickly from there, and Torrei said the phrase, “Kill yourself.” At least the other ladies had enough sense to be offended by that. It was terrible, and I could barely look at the screen. Monyetta summarized it pretty well, “Who does that? Kids are off limits!”

What do you guys think? Whose side are you on? Did Torrei go too far? What are your thoughts?

Atlanta Exes airs Mondays at 9/8C on VH1.

Advertisement

Here, EW superfans lead the conversation around TV shows. And there are so many shows to talk about! Our community contributors post and share throughout the week on latest episodes.

Want to join? Click on the links below.

Join Now FAQ

Latest Videos

From Our Partners

TV Recaps