EW Community TV Show Episode Guides and Recaps from EW's Community

all4one

'The Musketeers' do it for honor in the season 1 finale

Season 1 | Episode 10 | “Musketeers Don’t Die Easily” | Aired Aug 24, 2014

The season 1 finale of The Musketeers includes everything a finale is supposed to include: Loose ends are tied up, while cliffhangers and questions are raised. Plus fans are FINALLY rewarded with the famous catchphrase. Let’s get our swashbuckling action on!

musketeersfinaleMilady is walking through the streets (with her hair annoyingly down again) when drunk Athos comes up from behind and holds her at gunpoint. He tells the rest of the Musketeers that she’s a liar, murderer and the cardinal’s spy, but most of all she’s also his wife. Milady begs D’Artagnan to help her and Aramis realizes that she is his mysterious benefactor. As Treville comes over to stop the fighting, Athos pulls out the gun and shoots D’Artagnan.

It’s been three months since the end of the last episode when Count Mellendorf was placed in jail for the attempted assassination of the queen. His daughter begs the king to spare her father or else they will call on their allies from Sweden to help them. After she leaves, the king begins to praise her qualities until the queen gives him the evil eye. They believe that someone else must have been involved in the plot, and they don’t want conflict with Sweden. The cardinal says that the count should be executed, which causes the king to lose his temper with him. To save face, the cardinal then goes to Milady and tells her that he wants her to silence the Musketeers for good.

D’Artagnan is nursing his wounds when Milady comes and tells him that his friends want him dead. She offers the promise that the cardinal can be his protector. D’Artagnan asks her to tell him what happened between her and Athos. She says she was born poor and became a thief. When she married Athos, she lied about her past; however, his brother wanted her, and she was forced to kill him. Athos learned about her past and refused to hear her side of the story. She shows D’Artagnan the scars on her neck and reminds him of the promise he made earlier of how he would kill the man who did that to her. “I will not murder my best friend!” he replies.

Treville comes to the room to say that Athos refuses to serve alongside D’Artagnan. Due to Athos being the better soldier, Treville chooses him over D’Artagnan, which infuriates D’Artagnan, who then goes to the garrison and demands justice. Treville doesn’t want this to be out in the open and takes them all inside. Where they reveal, it’s all JUST AN ACT. This the third time they’ve fooled even me! To really convince everyone, however, D’Artagnan’s going to have to “kill” Athos.

Milady goes to her old benefactor Sarazin (Sean Pertwee) for insurance and help with her plan, but Sarazin is still angry that she had left him for the cardinal.

D’Artagnan roams the streets, calling out for Athos to confront him. When he finds him, he slaps him with a glove and challenges him to a duel right there and then. With Milady watching in the distance, D’Artagnan shoots Athos, who appears to fall down dead (Porthos helps out by pouring blood on his body). D’Artagnan asks Milady to take him to the cardinal for protection. The cardinal sentences D’Artagnan to execution, but is stopped short when he’s informed that there is evidence implicating him for the attempted assassination. Not wanting to be found out, the cardinal goes along with D’Artagnan’s plan of trying to get the letter from Aramis by using D’Artagnan as bait.

Treville tries to lead a funeral for Athos (in case Milady is watching), but is continually interrupted by Aramis and Porthos.

Treville: Athos was a loyal friend and a fine warrior.
Porthos: Great.
Treville: He was a great warrior. A great warrior—
Aramis: And a brilliant swordsman.
Treville: A great warrior and a brilliant swordsman.
Porthos: He’d like that.
Treville: His death is a tragic waste—
Aramis: He was considered handsome.
Treville: Ahhhh
Porthos: He was more rugged, I’d say, but…
Aramis: Well, I suppose it’s in the eye of the beholder.
Treville: May I continue?

Meanwhile, Constance is tricked into thinking she’s helping D’Artagnan, but instead is held captive by Sarazin (who looks like he got some awesome eyeliner coverage).

sean_pertwee_sarazin_musketeers-371761After taunting her, he leaves her in the care of one of his girls, who promptly gets drunk. She passes out, and Constance frees herself, but just as she’s about to leave, Milady punchers her in the face.

After the funeral, Porthos and Aramis meet up with Athos, but are quickly interrupted by Constance’s husband demanding to know why she’s missing. He tells them he knows about her and D’Artagnan and if she’s run away with him, he will find them and fight him. He honestly seems quite worried at this point. The Red Guard also arrive to summon Aramis to the cardinal.

Porthos and Aramis arrive with the letter, but before they hand it over, they want a full explanation from the cardinal. He finally admits that the reason he ordered her death is because the queen is barren and if the king dies without an heir, France would break out into civil war. He opens the letter only to find out that it’s blank, and he’s been tricked into confessing. To make it worse, the queen has overheard everything. Whoops.

She tells him she will spare his life because she believes that he only did it out of true devotion to the country and because the King loves him; however, he has been warned and that her power over the king is much stronger than he could possibly imagine. Considering he has no more real power over the Musketeers, he tells them how to find Milady. He also seems confused over their happiness to see D’Artagnan.

The Cardinal: Athos was your friend. Are you so ready to forgive his murder?
Porthos: It’s sad, but we can always find new friends.
Aramis: And to be honest, he was a little moody.
(Everyone nods, even Treville!)

Milady finds out Athos is still alive and tells the Musketeers that if they want Constance safe, they will have to fight. As they prepare for battle, it’s time for a quick pep talk. FINALLY, the famous phrase is said.

The streets are prepared with many shooters waiting for the Musketeers arrival and Sarazin keeping guard over Constance. When the Musketeers arrive, the battle seems a bit one-sided. The foursome are never really in much danger as they continually take out all the men with guns, bombs, fists and swords. D’Artagnan’s fight with Sarazin is over rather quickly, as he never turns out to be much of a threat.

Milady is cornered and her attempts to threaten Constance fall flat. She finally surrenders to Athos, and he forces her to kneel as he brings out his sword. She reminds him again of what he did to her, and because of this he cannot bring himself to execute her. Instead he tells her to leave the country and if she ever shows up again, he will not hesitate to kill her then. She leaves, but gets in one last jab of how the both of them will never be at peace until they are both dead. Athos responds by throwing away her necklace, hopefully letting go of all the pain from that past.

Constance and D’Artagnan gleefully start to kiss in public until news of her husband’s attempted suicide reaches them. She rushes home where he tells her he tried to end his life because he thought she abandoned him. He begs her not to leave him and that if she does she will face the guilt of his death. Because of this, Constance tells D’Artagnan they have to say goodbye. I’m not sure how to feel about all this. Part of me is disgusted with the whole guilt-victim act her husband is pulling on Constance. The other part feels genuinely sorry for him, because again we don’t know really his whole story with her yet. I really hope they cover more of this in the second season.

The king demands the cardinal’s presence in front of the full court. He arrives looking very worried that the queen has gone against her word. It turns out however that the queen is with child, and to celebrate, the count will be granted full amnesty of all the crimes against him. The cardinal looks as if all the emotions in him happened at once ending with relief.

One last bit of surprise: Who turns out to be the father of the baby? ARAMIS. Who becomes suspicious of this? THE CARDINAL.

The ending with the cardinal is a bit surprising. I thought for sure they were going to execute or banish him to get him out of the story line for next season. As it stands, he still holds great power and now has even greater means to wreck havoc. I’m going to assume that since Peter Capaldi will not be returning, and Marc Warren will be the new antagonist as the Comte de Rochefort, that the cardinal will be written out during the first episode of season two. I’m really sad that Capaldi will no longer be around, but I know he’s going to do a fantastic job on Doctor Who.

What did you think of the season finale? Is this the last we’ll see of Milady? What are your thoughts on the love triangle with Constance, D’Artagnan, and her husband? What do you think will happen to the Cardinal? What were your favorite moments from the season?

I really loved this show and had a blast watching and recapping each week. I hope to be back next year to continue on the adventures! Until season two, group hug and—all for one and one for all!

The Musketeers on BBC America

Advertisement

Here, EW superfans lead the conversation around TV shows. And there are so many shows to talk about! Our community contributors post and share throughout the week on latest episodes.

Want to join? Click on the links below.

Join Now FAQ

Latest Videos

From Our Partners

TV Recaps