EW Community TV Show Episode Guides and Recaps from EW's Community

Witches of East End Screen Grab

Image Credit: Witches of East End Screen Grab

'Witches of East End' recap: Man, oh, Mandragora

Season 2 | Episode 6 | “When a Mandragora Loves a Woman” | Aired Aug 17, 2014

Well, well, well. We saw the end of one story and are left with a heck of a lot more questions after “When a Mandragora Loves a Woman,” don’t you think? There were some great quotes in the episode, plus a death and a bunch of reveals.

After the way things ended last week with Ingrid being scooped up in the Mandragora’s arms, it’s not surprising that everyone is on high alert in their attempt to rescue her. She shares some great news with Hudson when he arrives at the library: He’s been chosen. The Mandragora wanted to wear his skin, but it wasn’t a good fit. The way Hudson kind of laughs with a bit of hysteria at that thought is just heartbreaking.

What an amazing acting job by Rachel Boston in that moment. Her face takes on such an evil look, even more than when the Mandragora had his way with Dash and she was on her hands and knees last week. Before we move on, though, let’s get a good look at the creature and try to figure out how he works. Hmmm. A lot of fuss over a bit of a Ken doll. Even his tentacles aren’t anything to brag about. I apologize for once considering him sexy. Nuh-uh.

woees02e06_Mandragora_2

The Mandragora did quite a job on Dash. He finds himself in the thick of it as deeply as Ingrid thanks to last week’s tentacle frak. Shiver. Could there be a less pleasant way of curing someone than stabbing them in the head (it looked more like the ear to me, which is a lot easier)? At least Dash and Ingrid had a way out, while poor Hudson was doomed.

Hudson always knew Ingrid was a witch. As much as Ingrid wants to do something to try to save her friend, Wendy says she can only be with him and help him say goodbye. Hudson shared a bit of happiness in learning there really was magic in the world before he succumbed to his Manjuries and died with Ingrid at his side. (Seriously, how great of a word is “Manjuries”?)

The Mandragora can do just about anything. He can change people’s personalities (Dash), suckle life from them (eww, Ingrid) and capture them in their own minds (Joanna and Alex).

woees02e06_Thats_Gotta_HurtWhile stuck inside their minds and racing through what seemed to be a never-ending library, Joanna and Alex have a lovers’ quarrel. Joanna pushes away anyone who loves her so she doesn’t have to feel, is the way Alex sees it. Instead, Joanna pushes to keep others from feeling the continual suffering she experiences as she loses her daughters. Stressful situations have a way of reuniting people, and after Ingrid was saved and all was right with the world, Joanna lets Alex back in. Alex has a life outside of East End, so a full-blown relationship might not be in the cards yet, but the door is open.

Meanwhile, Killian’s new power is to emulate Sookie Stackhouse. He can hear what people are thinking, “like their inner voices are inside my head,” he tells Eva. Is that why Eva keeps drugging him? So he can’t hear what she’s thinking? Even Sookie can hear all thoughts but Bill’s.

woees02e06_Hot_Wax_on_the_ChestThe way Eva makes Killian finish his drink like he’s a child who refuses take his medicine is bothersome. Why doesn’t he sense the red flags? Perhaps that’s part of the potion’s power as well. We still know very little about her, but we do know she’s up to no good. Why does she want a baby with him? He thinks he’s in love with her, so why she felt the need to spell him to have a baby seems even more concerning. At first I thought the symbol she melts on his chest was the King’s Symbol, but it’s not. What I do know is seeing them together is as far from sexy as I can imagine. Eva is her own special type of Mandragora, with the way she’s using Killian. A Womandragora.

The scenes as the witches try to finally free Ingrid from the Mandragora are full of witchy goodness. While Ingrid (nice body!) is pitched up in the kitchen and then set on fire, Wendy finds herself with a Manklet (another word waiting to be born) as the Mandragora tries to—I don’t know what he was trying to do, drag her into the closet? Nonetheless, it’s not fun for Wendy, and her nephew—who earlier in the hour she wanted to leave the family once and for all—comes to her rescue, severing her ties with the Mandragora and turning him to dust. That Frederick saved her life surprises Wendy, but she’s willing to accept him back into her heart. No words to that effect are uttered; you can just tell.

woees02e06_Flambee woees02e06_Manklet

That’s pretty much when you also know it’s a very bad decision.

Before Dash leaves, he and Freya finally reach closure on their relationship, but not before she confronts him about the bad things he said he had done, so dark they would make her shudder. He’s talking about the murder, no doubt, that Ingrid helped him cover up. The Mandragora was influencing Ingrid even then; how will she feel once she takes the time to recall that particular incident? She can’t very well go back on her word because then she’s an accomplice to murder.

woees02e06_Another_WayTsk, tsk, tsk. We might as well end the night with another three-word sentence; one that describes how we feel about Frederick still being in cahoots with his grandfather. I knew he wasn’t a good guy. What really stinks is that he was probably sticking it to his own sister by way of the Mandragora for his frakkin’ grandfather. What kind of men would subject their sister/granddaughter to be the sex slave of a thing like that? Yuck.

The good thing is that Wendy rarely trusts anyone even when she really trusts them, so hopefully she’ll see through his shiny exterior. He’s no prince charming. Which begs the question, hasn’t anyone wondered why he hasn’t gotten any friends yet or gone on a date? He’s too busy trying to kill his family! Everything Dash said about wanting all the Beauchamp women dead and being embarrassed about Freya’s life must come directly from Grandfather and Frederick.

I can’t wait to find out what comes next! In the meantime, I’m leaving you with some quotables:

“I remember everything—what he did to me, feeding off of me—and I let him. I enjoyed it!” —Ingrid

“It’s OK. I always knew there was magic in the world, and now I know for sure. I love being right.” —Hudson

“Is that all you got? I bet you banged my brother harder than that!” —Dash

Dash: She stabbed me in the brain.
Ingrid: They got me, too! Right through the ear!
Dash: It hurts, right?!
Ingrid: Like a mother!

Freya: Whatever happened in the past, you are still my friend, no matter what.
Frederick: Thank you, Freya. That means everything.

“We really did have a good thing.” —Alex

“I’m sorry. I know I let you down. I’ll find another way. I promise, Grandfather. I promise.” —Frederick

Witches of East End airs Sundays at 9/8C on Lifetime.

Advertisement

Here, EW superfans lead the conversation around TV shows. And there are so many shows to talk about! Our community contributors post and share throughout the week on latest episodes.

Want to join? Click on the links below.

Join Now FAQ

Latest Videos

From Our Partners

TV Recaps