EW Community TV Show Episode Guides and Recaps from EW's Community

div_ep104-1_main_image_820x460

'The Divide' recap: Kucik reenters society, while D.A. Page goes digging for truth

Season 1 | Episode 4 | “Never Forget” | Aired July 30, 2014

Terry Kucik is a free man. Sort of.

Walking out of the penitentiary that has held him for 11 years, Kucik meets Rosa in the parking lot and prepares himself for another kind of prison: living with his parents.

In what is certainly a minor victory for the Innocence Initiative, Rosa and Rylance’s efforts to release Kucik back into the real world ain’t going to be easy, from the looks of things. First, he is under house detention, meaning he is required to wear an ankle bracelet. While his mother is more than happy to have her son back home—happily making him a grilled cheese sandwich at one point—his father would rather see him still in prison.

Then there is that pesky swastika/four-leaf clover tattoo on his left hand that might make it a little harder for Kucik to be accepted back into civilized society.

At the Page household, Adam came clean to Billie at the tail end of last week’s episode in regard to how much he might have known about Bankowski’s innocence. We pick up the morning after, with Billie crystal clear at just how disappointed she is in her husband. “We had a deal, remember? Do you think I became a corporate lawyer because that’s who I am? Do you think that’s my dream?” she asks, reminding Adam of all she put on hold to help him achieve his goals.

Billie confronting her husband proves to be the catalyst for Adam to do everything in his power to make things right. This leads him first to Isaiah, his police commissioner father, before Adam pays a visit to the lab technician (Daniel Kash, perfectly smarmy in his one scene), now a professor, who falsified Bankowski’s original DNA sample. Both instances hint at a potential conspiracy behind the case. Adam’s confrontation with his father takes it one step further: the possibility that the District Attorney of Philadelphia is a mere puppet in the grand scheme of things.

Later, Kucik has a sit-down with Rylance, who walks him through the guidelines of his house arrest. Rylance lets him know that Rosa pulled some strings and secured a gig for him at Maxine’s, the bar she moonlights at and which is run by its namesake—who just happens to be in a relationship with Rosa’s imprisoned father (she’s played by stage veteran Jan Maxwell). Rylance also warns Kucik to lay low, as Eric Zale and his father might be after him. Despite the seriousness of this scene, it does manage to provide my favorite line of dialogue from the episode: After Kucik asks Rylance if he wants to go to the gym or rent a DVD, Rylance retorts, “DVDs died while you were in prison.”

As Rosa prepares to take the bar exam, she does squeeze in time to send Jenny a copy of Kucik’s initial statement, in which he declares his innocence (behind Rylance’s back, of course). When the already-fragile Jenny begins sifting through it, it triggers an emotional response.

When we return to Adam, he has set up a meeting with Billie’s brother, Bobby, who we learn was a cop before his dependence on the bottle derailed his career. “You were a good cop before you started drinking,” says Adam. “Baby, I was a good cop while I was drinking,” answers Bobby (second-favorite line of the episode). Currently working in the “exciting” world of private security, Bobby first thinks Adam is going to tell him to stay away from his family, but is surprised to get offered a job instead.

Jenny takes the crucial step of visiting Kucik at his job. The two have an honest conversation about her sister—and whether Kucik really loved her. She then hands him a drawing made by her sibling before walking away, visibly shaken.

Back at Maxine’s, an inebriated Rosa admits to Kucik that she failed the bar and opens up about her shaky testimony during her father’s trial that might have led to his incarceration. She follows that by sloppily making a pass at him. Meanwhile, Jenny leaves the Page residence, but not before setting an envelope on a side table. In a remote, snow-covered setting, Isaiah meets with a mystery man (Kenneth Welsh), who has some sort of connection to the case. Could this be the Zale patriarch we’ve heard so much about? The answer to that question—as well as the fate of Jenny Butler, last seen having swallowed a bottle of pills—will have to wait until next week.

Written by Dana Baratta and cocreator Richard LaGravenese (from a story by Baratta) and directed by Janusz Kaminski, better known as Steven Spielberg’s cinematographer and a double Oscar-winner (for Schindler’s List and Saving Private Rya3702640947001-210x140n), episode 4 is by far my favorite for a myriad of reasons. For one, it perfectly highlights the amazing work of its terrific ensemble. While the episode clearly belongs to Kucik and Adam, the wealth is spread equally in one great scene after another. And I’ve come to the conclusion that I really, really love these characters—with my three personal faves being Billie, Rylance and Jenny (oh, Jenny, I wish I could break the fourth wall and give you a nice big hug).

Rosa, in particular, may be hampered with a throwaway subplot involving her bar exam here, but the intimate moment between her and Kucik near the end is one of this episode’s highlights. It’s difficult to play tough and vulnerable, but Rosa is shaping up to be a true flesh-and-blood heroine, full of moxie in one scene—and absolutely human, with all her frailties out in the open, in the next. I think this is the episode that gives Marin Ireland full ownership of her character.

I was halfway through “Never Forget” when it finally dawned on me that what makes The Divide great is the timelessness of its premise. The Divide could be in any time period, really. The relationship and banter between Rosa and Rylance has a His Girl Friday quality to it (that 1940s classic also has a plot involving a man on death row). Meanwhile, Adam’s quest for justice and a little redemption harkens back to the social activist films of the ’60s and ’70s. But what really gets me excited are the elements of film noir episode 4 introduces; the only things missing are rampant cigarette smoke and black-and-white cinematography (I really love film noir, in case you can’t tell). Much more mystery is introduced here, and we finally get confirmation that this city is full of hidden secrets lurking in the shadows that even those at a higher level don’t know about.

It’s qualities like these that make for great television. The Divide is on its way.

The Divide airs Wednesdays at 9/8C on WE tv.

Advertisement

Here, EW superfans lead the conversation around TV shows. And there are so many shows to talk about! Our community contributors post and share throughout the week on latest episodes.

Want to join? Click on the links below.

Join Now FAQ

Latest Videos

Latest News

Most Commented

PopWatch | Entertainment Weekly's EW.com

Blog

PopWatch

Snapchat's getting its own web series, and it's called 'Literally Can't Even'

Comments +

Sending self-destructing pictures and videos is nice and all, but Snapchat wants to do more. The popular social network is broadening its horizons and getting into the entertainment game—by making an original web series named after a rather tired Internet meme. 

Read Full Story

'Disney Infinity 2.0' Toy Box comes to iPhones, iPads

Comments +

Disney Interactive has released the Disney Infinity: Toy Box 2.0 for free on iPhones and iPads, meaning it’s now possible for you to have Aladdin and Baymax race each other in Guardians of the Galaxy-themed cars when you’re on the go. 

Read Full Story

How 'Parenthood' thrived, despite a spoiler-addicted society

Comments +

In the age of live-tweeting, the most talked-about shows on television tend to be those that give viewers (and Twitter users) plenty of big, bold moments that inspire strong, immediate reactions. Which, in turn, means that the most talked-about shows inevitably end up being labeled TV’s most successful shows. Think about it: There’s Game of Thrones, with its Red Wedding, Purple Wedding, and continuous stream of unexpected deaths. We have Shonda Rhimes, who’s arguably the queen of the WTF moment with ScandalGrey’s Anatomy, and How to Get Away With Murder. And then there’s the ever-more-popular True Detective format, which is built entirely around solving a mystery—preferably one with a surprising result. Essentially, TV’s best dramas must, on some level, be edge-of-your-seat thrillers.

That is, unless they’ve got the Bravermans.

Read Full Story

Conan O'Brien, Marshawn Lynch, and Rob Gronkowski lose their minds over 'Mortal Kombat'

Comments +

For a special Super Bowl edition of Conan O’Brien’s very funny Clueless Gamer segments, the late-night host convinced Marshawn Lynch of the Seattle Seahawks and Rob Gronkowski of the New England Patriots to face each other for a few matches of the yet-to-be-released Mortal Kombat X

Read Full Story

'Transistor,' 'Rogue Legacy' among free games for PlayStation Plus in February

Comments +

Sony is refreshing the free games available as part of PlayStation Plus next week, and the new selection will include one of 2014’s most memorable games and a brand new title.

Read Full Story

PopWatch Confessional: The thing you used to love (that now makes you cringe)

Comments +

Ahh, youth, when naivete and limitless free time conspire to form overwhelming cultural obsessions—the sort that burn bright and hot, consuming vast amounts of energy until you get a little older and realize, “Wait. What the hell was I thinking?” (This is the moment where I pause, look to the heavens, and thank whatever’s up there that I never ended up getting a Rent-inspired tattoo when I was 18.)

Which brings me to this week’s PopWatch confessional: What’s the movie/TV show/musical act/AIDS-themed rock operetta (ahem) that you were once obsessed with—to a degree that makes your present-day self want to laugh and cry simultaneously? The EW staff’s answers may surprise you. (Yeah, they probably won’t.)

Read Full Story

Chris Hardwick looks back at five years of Nerdist podcast

Comments +

Five years in, Chris Hardwick’s Nerdist podcast is only continuing to grow.

What started as three friends gathering around some microphones on Super Bowl Sunday in 2010 has turned into over 600 episodes of the flagship Nerdist podcasts, a website, and a host of other podcasts on the Nerdist Network. 

The show celebrates its fifth anniversary with episode 631, a special live show recorded at the NerdMelt Showroom. Hardwick spoke to EW about the live show, what Nerdist has meant for him over the last five years, and where he hopes to take it in the years to come.

Read Full Story

Warner Bros. to launch new Batman, Justice League animated movies based on toys

Comments +

Chances are you’ve already gotten a sneak peek at DC’s next big animated project if you’ve spent any time buying superhero toys.

Read Full Story

'Life Is Strange' Episode 1 review: 'Chrysalis'

Comments +
Life Is Strange

High school can be a daily exercise in embarrassing encounters. Stumbling through an awkward exchange with your current crush, taking a volleyball straight to the face during gym, having a teacher ask you a question while you’re daydreaming—wouldn’t it be great to rewind time and prevent these horrific moments from ever happening?

Life Is Strange allows its main character, Max Caulfield, to do just that. The episodic series from Dontnod Entertainment and Square Enix capitalizes on the collective trials of navigating teenage life. The first episode, “Chrysalis,” is not without its issues —some hokey dialogue and stilted line reading can make the centerpiece of the game, the characters, a bit unbelievable. But it also sets the stage for a relatable tale with a nice sci-fi spin and enough hanging plot threads to encourage sticking around for future episodes.

Read Full Story

The Super Bowl ads of 2015: Watch them here

Comments +
Mindy Kaling 02

Come Sunday evening, the commercials with the biggest stars, cutest animals, and best jokes might be more important than who actually wins Super Bowl XLIX. (Budweiser’s lost puppy commercial vs. Patriots/Seahawks? Our money is on the puppy.)

Read Full Story
Page:

More from Our Partners

From Our Partners

TV Recaps

TV Recaps | Entertainment Weekly's EW.com

TV Recaps

More from Our Partners