EW Community TV Show Episode Guides and Recaps from EW's Community

MTV

Image Credit: MTV

'Finding Carter' react: Characters and psychological complexes

Season 1 | Episode 2 | “Drive” | Aired July 15, 2014

As the first season presses on, it becomes more and more clear that every single person on Finding Carter is suffering from varying levels of psychological not-rightness—I won’t go so far as to call them “disorders,” but there are definitely some classic complexes popping up. Every person. All of them. It’s not so hard to believe that they would be afflicted with these issues, what with the family drama and, if we’re being honest here, trauma. 

Carter: Persecution Complex

What’s a persecution complex? It stems from a belief that everyone is out to get you. People suffering from a persecution complex are often distrustful and feel as though they’re constantly being watched and judged. Yes, Carter actually is being watched and judged a lot (sucks, but it comes with the territory of being a recovered kidnap victim), but she is really embracing the suck and settling into her role as the rebellious victim. The sass that was understandable in the pilot is already wearing thin as Carter continues to be the personification of teen angst.

Taylor: Inferiority Complex

You can almost hear Taylor’s voice morphing into that of Eeyore. She’s one missing tail away from moving to the Hundred Acre Wood. Carter is the cool twin. She’s the hot twin, the sexy twin, the twin Taylor’s lifelong crush wants to marry and grow old with (or whatever the teenage equivalent is). Taylor is the boring Plain Jane who grew up in a household marked by strict rules, while Carter got to live a life of freedom and fun. And no one is more acutely aware of this than Taylor.

Elizabeth: Superiority Complex

Ah, to truly believe that you’re always right and capable of anything. Such is the life of Elizabeth Wilson, the go-getting cop matriarch of Finding Carter. Elizabeth has spent most of her adult life searching for her daughter Lyndon’s (Carter’s) kidnapper. While I find it a little hard to believe that a frantic and grieving mother would really be allowed to act as the lead detective on a case so close to home, Elizabeth certainly feels up to the task. She’s even showing early hints of an emerging God complex, as she tries her hand at manipulating Carter. This one is a multitasker.

Zac: Burgeoning Martyr Complex

After Lyndon/Carter went missing, the Wilsons had a third … kind of more like second … child: Zac. Zac has grown up feeling like “the replacement child” and is pretty convinced that his family doesn’t care about or even notice him. In fact, a lot of the attention he does seem to get is a response to his claims that no one loves him. I don’t want this to sound like I’m complaining about Zac. I’m not. I love him. He’s easily one of my favorite characters on the show, but he’s a little martyr in the making (“I don’t want you to leave … but I don’t want you to die more.”)

Gabe: Hero Complex

The odds seem good that Gabe is going to get himself hurt or arrested in his quest to find Carter’s kidnapper mom and, in the process, win her heart. He’s a sweet guy, but he knows a sweet guy is the last thing Carter wants right now. Some people would take this little bit of awareness and logic and use it to convince themselves to stop pining after (or at least pursuing) the very clearly emotionally unstable new girl in town. But Gabe is not some people. Instead, Gabe convinces himself that all he has to do is rescue the fair maiden; in this case, “rescue” means reunite her with her abductor, even though that’s wildly illegal and possibly dangerous to said maiden fair.

David: Guilt Complex, Future Tense

tumblr_n8sboqMF2B1tdi2n7o2_1280

David and Carter have a wonderful relationship. This week, she called him “Dad,” for crying out loud. They hug. They go to the farmers’ market. They take selfies. ADORABLE SELFIES.

But he’s also writing a tell-all book about her return—against her explicit wishes— after he promised not to. It kind of makes me hate life, even though aside from this one aspect, I’m not all that invested in the series yet.

And there you have it, the Finding Carter crew broken down in the most Psych 101 way possible. Consider this a marker to hold them against in the future, in case they grow as people and all that jazz.

Did you watch this week’s Finding Carter? What do you think of the show and of the characters? Are they growing on you or totally turning you off? Sound off in the comments below.

Finding Carter airs Tuesdays at 10/9C on MTV.

Advertisement

Here, EW superfans lead the conversation around TV shows. And there are so many shows to talk about! Our community contributors post and share throughout the week on latest episodes.

Want to join? Click on the links below.

Join Now FAQ

Latest Videos

Latest News

Most Commented

PopWatch | Entertainment Weekly's EW.com

Blog

PopWatch

Snapchat's getting its own web series, and it's called 'Literally Can't Even'

Comments +

Sending self-destructing pictures and videos is nice and all, but Snapchat wants to do more. The popular social network is broadening its horizons and getting into the entertainment game—by making an original web series named after a rather tired Internet meme. 

Read Full Story

'Disney Infinity 2.0' Toy Box comes to iPhones, iPads

Comments +

Disney Interactive has released the Disney Infinity: Toy Box 2.0 for free on iPhones and iPads, meaning it’s now possible for you to have Aladdin and Baymax race each other in Guardians of the Galaxy-themed cars when you’re on the go. 

Read Full Story

How 'Parenthood' thrived, despite a spoiler-addicted society

Comments +

In the age of live-tweeting, the most talked-about shows on television tend to be those that give viewers (and Twitter users) plenty of big, bold moments that inspire strong, immediate reactions. Which, in turn, means that the most talked-about shows inevitably end up being labeled TV’s most successful shows. Think about it: There’s Game of Thrones, with its Red Wedding, Purple Wedding, and continuous stream of unexpected deaths. We have Shonda Rhimes, who’s arguably the queen of the WTF moment with ScandalGrey’s Anatomy, and How to Get Away With Murder. And then there’s the ever-more-popular True Detective format, which is built entirely around solving a mystery—preferably one with a surprising result. Essentially, TV’s best dramas must, on some level, be edge-of-your-seat thrillers.

That is, unless they’ve got the Bravermans.

Read Full Story

Conan O'Brien, Marshawn Lynch, and Rob Gronkowski lose their minds over 'Mortal Kombat'

Comments +

For a special Super Bowl edition of Conan O’Brien’s very funny Clueless Gamer segments, the late-night host convinced Marshawn Lynch of the Seattle Seahawks and Rob Gronkowski of the New England Patriots to face each other for a few matches of the yet-to-be-released Mortal Kombat X

Read Full Story

'Transistor,' 'Rogue Legacy' among free games for PlayStation Plus in February

Comments +

Sony is refreshing the free games available as part of PlayStation Plus next week, and the new selection will include one of 2014’s most memorable games and a brand new title.

Read Full Story

PopWatch Confessional: The thing you used to love (that now makes you cringe)

Comments +

Ahh, youth, when naivete and limitless free time conspire to form overwhelming cultural obsessions—the sort that burn bright and hot, consuming vast amounts of energy until you get a little older and realize, “Wait. What the hell was I thinking?” (This is the moment where I pause, look to the heavens, and thank whatever’s up there that I never ended up getting a Rent-inspired tattoo when I was 18.)

Which brings me to this week’s PopWatch confessional: What’s the movie/TV show/musical act/AIDS-themed rock operetta (ahem) that you were once obsessed with—to a degree that makes your present-day self want to laugh and cry simultaneously? The EW staff’s answers may surprise you. (Yeah, they probably won’t.)

Read Full Story

Chris Hardwick looks back at five years of Nerdist podcast

Comments +

Five years in, Chris Hardwick’s Nerdist podcast is only continuing to grow.

What started as three friends gathering around some microphones on Super Bowl Sunday in 2010 has turned into over 600 episodes of the flagship Nerdist podcasts, a website, and a host of other podcasts on the Nerdist Network. 

The show celebrates its fifth anniversary with episode 631, a special live show recorded at the NerdMelt Showroom. Hardwick spoke to EW about the live show, what Nerdist has meant for him over the last five years, and where he hopes to take it in the years to come.

Read Full Story

Warner Bros. to launch new Batman, Justice League animated movies based on toys

Comments +

Chances are you’ve already gotten a sneak peek at DC’s next big animated project if you’ve spent any time buying superhero toys.

Read Full Story

'Life Is Strange' Episode 1 review: 'Chrysalis'

Comments +
Life Is Strange

High school can be a daily exercise in embarrassing encounters. Stumbling through an awkward exchange with your current crush, taking a volleyball straight to the face during gym, having a teacher ask you a question while you’re daydreaming—wouldn’t it be great to rewind time and prevent these horrific moments from ever happening?

Life Is Strange allows its main character, Max Caulfield, to do just that. The episodic series from Dontnod Entertainment and Square Enix capitalizes on the collective trials of navigating teenage life. The first episode, “Chrysalis,” is not without its issues —some hokey dialogue and stilted line reading can make the centerpiece of the game, the characters, a bit unbelievable. But it also sets the stage for a relatable tale with a nice sci-fi spin and enough hanging plot threads to encourage sticking around for future episodes.

Read Full Story

The Super Bowl ads of 2015: Watch them here

Comments +
Mindy Kaling 02

Come Sunday evening, the commercials with the biggest stars, cutest animals, and best jokes might be more important than who actually wins Super Bowl XLIX. (Budweiser’s lost puppy commercial vs. Patriots/Seahawks? Our money is on the puppy.)

Read Full Story
Page:

More from Our Partners

From Our Partners

TV Recaps

TV Recaps | Entertainment Weekly's EW.com

TV Recaps

More from Our Partners