EW Community TV Show Episode Guides and Recaps from EW's Community

RBep3b

'Rookie Blue' recap: It's fight night!

Season 5 | Episode 3 | “Heart Breakers, Money Makers” | Aired June 26, 2014

“To new beginnings,” Sam says to Andy on his first day back at work.

Now that all of 15’s injured cops are back on their feet, it’s time to get back to business. That means cracking open Operation Accountability. Inspector Jarvis* is at the precinct, informing the officers about their new scavenger hunt assignments. They will each be given a list of items that have been purchased with dirty money. Everything on the list is considered a product of a crime and is therefore subject to repossession by the police. It is imperative that the cops of 15 division bring in as much loot as possible, as all the divisions in the city are on the same mission and everything is a competition. To add an air of urgency, it’s fight night! So hurry up and seize as much as you can, then get back to the station to cheer on your rookie!

Dov and Gail are assigned to the house of a gang-affiliated drug trafficker. On their drive over, Gail is downright giddy on the phone with Holly, finalizing their plans for the evening. I gotta say, it’s pretty cute seeing Charlotte Sullivan play the smitten kitten. Then, in one of the funniest scenes to date on Rookie Blue, Gail explains to a horrified Dov that she isn’t going to fight night because she is taking the plunge and meeting Holly’s friends.

Dov: I can’t believe you aren’t going to fight night. How is Duncan going to feel when he looks into the crowd and doesn’t see your pale, pale face cheering him on?

Gail: Who is Duncan?
Dov: The new rookie.
Gail: Oh. I’ve been calling him Gerald.

As the conversation continues, we get the sense that Gail is nervous about meeting Holly’s friends. Dov doesn’t help matters by reminding her that she a) makes a terrible first impression and b) is hard to trust since she’s only been a lesbian for five minutes.

When they arrive at the house, two officers from 27 division are already there. And wouldn’t you know it, one of them is Wes, Chloe’s ex husband. Turns out he’s an ass. Surprise! The cops from 27 were there first, so Oliver tells Peck and Epstein to let them take the lead. Wes tells them to take the basement, relishing the fact that they’ll have to find a way to get the washer and dryer up the stairs. Little does he know there’s a safe in the basement, and Gail and Dov discover stacks of cash and credit cards. Wes tells them that 27 should get the cash since he’s in charge of the operation. Gail protests, since he assigned the basement to them, but Dov says fine, as long as they can keep the cards. Gail is pissed, but Dov is sure they are on to something much bigger.

Meanwhile, Andy, Nick and Duncan head over to see Geno Jones (guest star Benjamin Ayres), a man who made all his money running an illegal poker ring. When they arrive, Geno’s wife, Myrna, is at the house clearing out her stuff, since he is terrible and she is leaving him (who buys a piano and never plays it?!). Ordinarily a husband wouldn’t stick around for this, but Geno can’t leave because he’s on house arrest. The officers ask to see what’s in the basement, and Geno tells them there’s nothing. Duncan baits him, saying he has a terrible poker face (irony!), and Geno punches him in the face. Fight night came a little early for poor Duncan. Geno then takes off, ankle monitor be damned. They track him to a friend’s garage and arrest him.

Back at the station, Geno asks to call his lawyer. After the phone call, he is eager to confess. McNally senses something’s up (a lawyer who encouraged a confession over the phone?) and does a little digging. She discovers that he really called his friend Lee, who owns the garage. When Swarek calls the number back, Myrna answers and explains she’s being held captive and threatened by Lee because he is sure there is more money stashed somewhere and he wants to find it. If Geno doesn’t tell him where it is, he’ll hurt Myrna. Geno swears there is no other money. McNally and Swarek head to the house and discover Lee tied up, while Myrna searches the house. Her story was a fabrication, designed to get her husband to reveal his stash. Andy is sure that the reason he didn’t talk was because there was no hidden money. But then she goes to celebrate her own brilliance by playing the piano and discovers there’s actually cash hidden in it! (That answers that question.)

Dov and Gail bring their findings to Traci, who confirms that the gang in question has been linked to ATM scams. She traces the serial number on the safe and discovers that it was delivered to a warehouse. Lucky for them, it’s abandoned, so no warrant is needed to go check it out. They head over and begin surveying the warehouse. As Gail (adorably) goes on and on about how much Holly has changed her and how she thinks she is a better person now, they stumble directly into an active fraud factory. The bust is made, but Dov’s plan not to mention any of this to Oliver until they had something big completely backfires, as both Oliver and Jarvis are pissed at them for not following directions.

The good news is, everyone finished in time to make it to fight night. The bad news is, Duncan chickens out and decides he can’t fight. This leads to an epic Chris meltdown, complete with an assault on the liquor delivery guy. Thankfully, Chloe is there to help him pull himself together. I miss it. I miss being a rookie, Chris says to Chloe by way of explanation. Um, OK. Is this all there is for Diaz this season? I seriously hope not.

Gail shakes off her crappy day and heads to the Penny to meet Holly and her friends. I couldn’t tell what was going on with Gail here. Was she nervous? For someone who is so crazy about her girlfriend, she seemed rather standoffish when it came to her friends. Did she purposely pick a story that was terrifying and gory? (Though to be honest, I was relieved. I was terrified she was going to tell them about how she got kidnapped.) As soon as the friends get up for a minute, Gail relaxes, and we’re reminded how much she likes Holly. Which is why it was brutal when she overheard Holly’s friend describing her as not good enough for Holly. It was snobby and rude, and Holly said nothing to really defend the relationship. Though, to me, it sounded like Holly was just saying the quickest thing to get her friend to shut up. Gail is too insecure and uncomfortable with her vulnerability to recover from hearing such a conversation. So she pulls a Peck, gets nasty and leaves.

Gail makes it to fight night just in time to see who’s taking Duncan’s place. Nick! Nick gets in the ring, then promptly gets his butt whooped. At one point, in between rounds, he sees Andy and Swarek together, and I thought that was going to be the key to unlocking his inner rage. Nope. He got destroyed. Andy went back to see him and find out what happened, and he gave her a cryptic “Hell, at least I tried.” And while I appreciate using the fight as a metaphor for the fact that he got his ass kicked by McNally, it doesn’t really explain what happened. I also can’t really tell if Andy’s emotions are because she feels bad that she hurt him or because she still has feelings for him. I hope it’s the former.

Stay focused, McNally. To new beginnings.

Rookie Blue, rated TV-14, airs Thursdays at 9/8 C on ABC.

*Thank you to everyone who read last week’s recap and pointed out to me that Jarvis is the Inspector and not the much-higher-ranking Commissioner, who is also Duncan’s stepfather. Now that I’ve gotten that straight, maybe someone can explain that interaction between Duncan and Jarvis when Duncan lied about going out to have drinks with the guys. That conversation only made sense to me when I thought he was saving face in front of his stepfather. Now it just seems weird.

Advertisement

Here, EW superfans lead the conversation around TV shows. And there are so many shows to talk about! Our community contributors post and share throughout the week on latest episodes.

Want to join? Click on the links below.

Join Now FAQ

Latest Videos

TV Recaps