EW Community TV Show Episode Guides and Recaps from EW's Community

RookieBlue-Cast-Full.jpg

Image Credit: ABC

'Rookie Blue' recap: Back with a bang

Season 5 | Episodes 1 and 2 | “Blink” and “All By Her Selfie” | Aired June 19, 2014

After a long 10 months away from 15 Division, we pick up right where we left off. Rookie Blue kicks off its fifth season with a double episode, the first of which takes place the night of the shooting at the station. Two officers are fighting for their lives. Sam is in surgery, so it’s too soon to know the prognosis. Chloe should be in surgery to remove a clot, but her estranged, never-before-mentioned husband showed up and refused to consent to it, even though the doctor made it extremely clear that it was the best option.

Dov is still reeling from the discovery that Chloe is married, but he shows up with flowers anyway, hoping to see her and get things straightened out. Upon arriving at the hospital, however, Frank informs him that Chloe is awake and asking to speak to Wes. Dov needs to get some air and ends up heading to a diner with McNally. Andy tells Dov about how she professed her love to Sam. She also tells him that things with Nick are great, which is funny because I thought it was clear at the end of last season that it was over. Maybe I was watching with McSwarek glasses. Anyway, exhausted and trying to recharge a little with grilled cheese and spiked milkshakes, Dov and Andy get caught up in an armed robbery. Two teenagers start waving guns around and demanding money. Things escalate pretty quickly and by the end of the hour, the teenage boy is dead, and his (pretty terrible) girlfriend is sobbing over his body. So much for relaxing, McNally.

Meanwhile, the police commissioner is back at the station, with Chris piecing together the events of the evening. He hilariously implies that it will be difficult for Collins to come up with an appropriate thank-you gift for Swarek — what do you get the man who takes a bullet for you? Especially when he’s also the dude who’s about to steal your girlfriend? Apparently the answer is, you get him his sister. Nick, who I guess is some kind of saint, drives to find Sam’s sister, Sarah, since no one had been able to get in touch with her. If you’re Nick Collins, the way you blow off steam when you’re starting to realize that your girlfriend has feelings for her ex is by getting in the car and going to find the guy’s next of kin. Nick gets Sarah back to the hospital and sees Andy, who tells him about her proclamation of love in the ambulance. McCollins bites the dust.

Back at the station, Traci realizes she forgot to call her sitter to say she’d be late when her son, Leo, shows up at 4 in the morning. Shortly after that, her ex, Dex, shows up to pick up their son and threaten Traci with legal action. Steve Peck, Gail’s brother and Traci’s new boyfriend, is right there to reassure her and let her know that he’s prepared to be there for her and for Leo as well. And just as it seemed like he was too good to be true, he picks up the phone and calls a friend to run a full background check on Dex. As much as Traci doesn’t want to fight him for Leo, I can’t imagine she’s going to want her son’s father to have any trouble with the law, either.

Gail was the one member of the team who really seemed to be reacting to the terrifying events of the day. Holly tries to talk to her, but she locks herself in the bathroom with the music blasting and chops all her hair off. I love how unfazed Holly was by all of Gail’s behavior. She sat there, listening as Gail broke down, but still managed to keep it light and make her smile. She fixed Gail’s hack job and then turned the shower on while they were both still dressed — a tactic employed on television often that seems absolutely miserable to me, but always makes the characters smile.

As the night drew to a close, the commissioner finished his investigation and decided that someone was going to need to be held responsible for the shooter getting into the precinct in the first place. Though he suspects Sam was probably at fault, he recognizes that pinning the whole thing on the wounded hero would likely not go over well. So for now, he is removing Frank from his staff sergeant post. Who will be his replacement? Oliver, of course.

After watching the kid criminal bleed to death, Dov needs to see Chloe immediately. He goes back to the hospital, where she explains to him that her marriage to Wes is over; she just needed to see him first so she could tell him. She is sorry she never mentioned it, but she was embarrassed that she let someone control her. She wants to be with Dov — if he’ll have her. “Kiss me,” she says. And kiss her he does. Prepstein! (Is that a thing? Can I make it a thing?)

Andy goes to see Sam, and he tells her he doesn’t want to waste any more time. He’s sick of being sad. Things are looking good for McSwarek. So naturally, something’s going to have to mess it up.

Oliver is taking over as staff sergeant, and one of the first orders of business is assigning a training officer to the new rookie, Duncan Moore. McNally has it in her head that she’d be great at it since … well, I don’t really know why, seeing as she notoriously makes terrible decisions. Oliver seems to know this is a bad idea, but the commissioner thinks it’s a great plan.

McNally is about as competent a TO as one might imagine. First stop she and the rookie make is to a pawnshop, where they find a homeless guy sleeping upstairs. Andy lets him go and then discovers a dead body in the basement. Meanwhile, Duncan gets his prints all over a golf club at the scene, which turns out to be evidence. The next stop is the victim’s house to tell his wife that her husband was killed. Duncan insists that he can handle the notification on his own, then inexplicably shoves a handful of peanuts down his throat. As he stands there choking, he blurts out with as little sensitivity as humanly possible that he is nervous because this is his first death notification. The woman is so horrified that she files a formal complaint with the precinct, forcing McNally to bring Duncan back later to apologize.

Somehow McNally allows her rookie to convince her to stay in the car, so she isn’t there when he lets himself into the house and finds the murderer inside looking for his pawned ring. Andy eventually figures out what is going on and swoops in in time to save Duncan from shooting the man. McNally teaches him important police lessons, and we all forget that she let him go in by himself. (Granted, she did tell him about a hundred times that his first course of action is always to call her, but still.)

As it turns out, the something that’s going to mess things up for McSwarek might be Sam’s sister. There are a few vague conversation between the siblings that clue us in to the fact that Sam doesn’t like his father much and resents Sarah for her relationship with him. As Andy drives Sarah to the train station, Sarah tells Andy to prepare herself for the fact that Swarek will break her heart. If I were Andy, I would’ve headed right back to the hospital and given Sam an earful about how terrible his sister is. Instead, Andy pulled a McNally and told Sam she needs some time. Here we go again …

Rookie Blue, rated TV-14, airs Thursdays at 9/8 C on ABC.

Advertisement

Here, EW superfans lead the conversation around TV shows. And there are so many shows to talk about! Our community contributors post and share throughout the week on latest episodes.

Want to join? Click on the links below.

Join Now FAQ

Latest Videos

TV Recaps