EW Community TV Show Episode Guides and Recaps from EW's Community

MTV (screengrab)

Image Credit: MTV (screengrab)

'Awkward.' recap: Deliver us from Eva

Season 4 | Episode 10 | “Snow Job” | Aired June 17, 2014

One of the most talked-about elements of the latter part of this season of Awkward. is whether viewers should be on Team Matty or Team Luke. Both guys have points for and against them, which leads to some interesting arguments. But the real part of this season of Awkward. that I — and Sadie — have been wondering about is: Eva. She made a huge, slow-motion entrance in the season 4 premiere, and has been consistently part of Jenna’s life lately. The past few weeks, we’ve seen the true colors behind this mysterious girl who boasts tall tales. And this week, we finally get to find out the real deal with Eva in an hour-long midseason finale.

The “legendary” Senior Ski Trip is here. You just know that some serious drama will go down when a bunch of high school seniors are away from home and barely chaperoned (Jenna’s parents come along, but are bit too distracted by each other). Also, may I add that a ski resort is probably the worst place to have a dramatic showdown?

Jenna is once again acting blasé about Eva and Matty’s relationship. If she cares about Matty, she would be worried if someone as seemingly manipulative as Eva is with him. She does care, but as usual, it will take another mini revelation for Jenna to “get” it.

As if manipulating him wasn’t enough, I honestly think Eva is making Matty dumber. She somehow convinces him that Sadie, who is one of his best friends and a person he’s always connected with and understood, is harboring a huge crush on him. Matty, acting the fool, tells this all to Sadie, saying that he now knows why she has so much hostility toward Eva. Sadie is flabbergasted — and she’s not the only one. Sadie promptly screams in outrage and attacks Eva, who plays the innocent victim and leads Val to kick Sadie off the ski trip.

awkward sadie attacks eva

Luke surprises Jenna, who is freaked out about skiing, and the two have a cute and fun time trying to man the slopes.

Sadie decides to make good use of her time away by investigating Eva. They visit Eva’s home, where the real Eva Mansfield comes out — middle-aged, with a major blowout, a tan and a fair amount of plastic surgery. The real Eva reveals that she’s the victim of credit card fraud. This gives Sadie a real lead, and with the help of Sergio, she discovers that fake Eva is actually Amber Horn. Amber lives in dingy house in a bad part of town, which lies outside the Palos Hills High School district. Sadie goes to Amber’s home, where she meets her grandmother, who clearly has no idea what her granddaughter is up to. The grandmother leads Sadie to fake Eva’s room in the basement, where there’s a pin board with pictures of Jenna, Matty and Sadie. It’s really creepy (and cheesy). Sadie quickly calls Matty to warn him — only Eva picks up and hides his phone so he won’t find out.

awkward sadie pinboard  awkward eva pinboard

Matty is bent on believing Eva’s lies. When alone together, Matty confronts Jenna regarding her behavior toward Eva. Jenna is earnest and tells the truth, and Matty doesn’t believe a word of it. It’s very hard to be Team Matty right now.

Eva continues to make Jenna look bad through a series of small actions. Even Luke falls under that trap. I can’t blame Jenna for feeling hurt by how Matty refuses to believe anything she says, especially about fake Eva.

awkward hot chocolate

Count on Sadie to get shit done; she calls Jenna for help. Sadie gives Jenna the lowdown on fake Eva, aka Amber, who has been kicked out of the school system for stabbing someone in the face and has homeschooled herself since then. Jenna’s response is immediate: She forgets about meeting up with Luke, and needs to help Matty. Only, is he going to listen?

Matty is nowhere to be found. Luke, angry about being ditched, leaves the ski resort. Jenna is dejected, and her first thought when waking up the next day is to patch things up with Luke, who is ignoring her calls. Jenna stops to take a shower. The music tenses, and for a second, you believe Eva is going to finish off Jenna for real.

Jenna shower awkward

Luckily, it’s Sadie, and the moment I’ve waited forever for happens: Jenna and Sadie team up for an Eva smackdown!

Matty is safe. He wakes up besides fake Eva in a cabin that she claims belongs to a family she knows. She’s still playing her game, and Matty is falling for it. While Jenna and Sadie are freezing their asses off trying to find and save Matty, Sadie calls reinforcements to help trace Matty’s phone in order to discover his whereabouts.

In non-fake-Eva news, Tamara and Jake reconnect in a really kind way. The two end up spending the night together … playing video games. Then, the next day, Jake teaches T how to snowboard. It’s nice and refreshing to see a friendship form between them — definitely the least annoying interaction these two have had all season.

After tracking Matty and Eva down, Eva and Jenna are arguing outside the cabin. Jenna is annoyed and ready to leave Sadie, when she unexpectedly utters, “Wait, don’t go.” And then Sadie admits, “I would feel better if you were here.” Jenna can’t help but enjoy seeing Sadie beg for her company. The two march into the cabin. Matty asks why they’re there. Jenna exclaims, “Blowing that bitch’s cover!” Eva seizes the moment to land a big development.

Dun dun dun. Eva is pregnant.

Sadie says, “I call bullshit on this pregnancy.” So do we, Sadie. Matty tries to kick them out, but the blizzard stops him from doing so. Eva combats every one of Sadie’s claims with reasonable explanations. Eva is so good at lying that she almost made me begin to believe her. I suppose Matty isn’t so dumb. Anyway, the electricity goes out, and Jenna pleads with Matty to see the truth about Eva. It doesn’t really work, and even Sadie gives Eva the third degree. But when the owners of the cabin walk in, threatening to kick them out, fake Eva is caught in a lie that she can’t talk her way out of.

Unfortunately, the next morning, Matty is still with Eva, but there’s now a real inkling of doubt in their relationship. On their way back home, he suggests that Eva take another pregnancy test to confirm it.

Jenna calls Luke, who finally answers, only to break up with her. His reasoning? She’s still too caught up with high school. It’s a sorry excuse, and it wasn’t easy to tell if Luke looks heartbroken or not over the breakup, but Jenna definitely is. I guess it’s also hard to be Team Luke now too.

Jenna meets Sadie inside the convenience store, and Sadie is uncharacteristically sympathetic when Jenna tells her she’s no longer with Luke. But quickly Sadie turns around and smugly lets us know that fake Eva (should we really call her Amber now?) is in the bathroom taking an impromptu pregnancy test. We’re all thinking of how fake Eva will talk her way out of another lie … when she comes out with a positive pregnancy test, to everyone’s shock.

Awkward Eva test  awkward jenna sadie react

I know it’s possible to mess with the results of a pregnancy test, which leads me to question: Can it really be true? Is it really Matty’s child? There’s one thing I know for sure: It’s going to be a long wait for the second part of season 4.

Awkward. returns to MTV in the fall.

Advertisement

Here, EW superfans lead the conversation around TV shows. And there are so many shows to talk about! Our community contributors post and share throughout the week on latest episodes.

Want to join? Click on the links below.

Join Now FAQ

Latest Videos

From Our Partners

TV Recaps