EW Community TV Show Episode Guides and Recaps from EW's Community

Continuum-309-Full.jpg

Image Credit: Diyah Pera/Syfy

'Continuum' recap: The little soldier lost

Season 3 | Episode 9 | “Minute of Silence” | Aired May 30, 2014

Continuum opens with flash-forward Keira witnessing a rather brutal medical procedure being done on people sitting in a waiting room. She doesn’t look pleased. Does this establish some simmering discontent?

A John Doe (Ryan Robbins) awakens in hospital, claiming not to know who he is. He tells Dr. Williams (Tracy Waterhouse) that he remembers a name: Cameron, but “It’s not me — Kiera Cameron.”

In the station, the officers return from Betty’s funeral. “Betty paid the heaviest price for her convictions” but, Kiera tells Carlos, he can’t do what she thinks he’s going to do. Carlos is going to go talk to Dillon anyway. “Finding Betty’s killer is not on our dance card,” Dillon tells Carlos. Carlos has been told to take some leave. He tells Kiera he has a date. Kiera has her own date: She has to go meet the John Doe.

JD: “Who are you?” Keira: “Do I know you?” Doctor: That’s going to be a problem. There’s nothing wrong with him. (Except that he was hit by a truck.) Maybe he read your name somewhere. The doctor wants Kiera to take John Doe and solve the mystery of this dude.

Carlos meets Alec, who’s driving a really nice car and blabbering about his work woes. “I buried a friend today,” Carlos says dramatically and to intended effect. Then he brings Alec to current-timeline Kiera’s body. Alec flips out, crying. “Two of me. Two of her?” he asks. Carlos can’t carry the load anymore. Alec says the live Kiera lied. She said she told him everything, but she left out this huge chunk (that now lies dead at his feed). Carlos hands Alec the flask.

A rock ‘n’ roll corporate theft is underway, featuring a parkour athlete and a Go-Pro camera, stealing an invisibility cloak from a company called Hyper Stealth.

Driving with the amnesiac, Kiera gets nothing — no recognition of the city. She calls Alec, who’s none too pleased to hear from her. I have a ghost, she says. How could a guy scrub himself from every system? Alec doesn’t know. Bye! And hangs up. Kiera: Weird. “I don’t want to be a ghost,” says the ghost in the passenger’s seat.

Kellog shows up in Alec’s face. He’s suing him for breach of contract. Alec signed an anti-compete and 49 percent of everything in his noggin belongs to Kellog: “See you in court.”

Back at the precinct, they review the damage: The parkour guy stole active-camouflage technology. There have been three high-tech robberies recently. Someone also hacked in while the robbery was underway and stole proprietary engineering specs.

Alec and Jason have a brainstorming meeting with team Halo. Alec is frustrated: Where’s this guy, that guy and the other guy? Psst: They went to work for SadTech. Damn! Alec’s lawyer is also pissed: She’s been blindsided by the Kellog lawsuit, plus, she says, “No one understands your vision.” Jason: “I do!” We like Jason.

Carlos: The robberies don’t have a pattern. They seem like inside jobs, but aren’t. Kiera needs to step out with John Doe. There’s a hotel key among his personal effects. Mm-hmmmm

At the hotel, JD still has no idea who he is, but he’s not rich (because this is a crap hotel) and he reads science-fiction. Flirtation alert! On his wrist: faded ink. Kiera scans it with her supersuit. GPS coordinates. Let’s go!

Back at Piron, the invisibility-cloaked parkour athlete steals a Halo wristband and disappears!

At the GPS coordinates, nothing. Kiera can’t waste time anymore. “Crazy images flash around in my head,” JD says. Carlos calls with news of the Piron Halo theft. But just then, JD has a recollection. He knows the city, but he knows it differently — bombed out. “I’m not of this place. I’m not of this time,” he says. Does that sound crazy? Mmmm, not so much, says Kiera’s expression.

Kiera arrives at Piron. “I suppose if what they took worked, I’d be angry,” Alec says — but he is angry at the big fibber standing right in front of him. Kiera’s look says she’s wondering why he’s being so pissy. Carlos asks the right questions: Turns out WCIT Alpha Labs is a vendor to both Piron’s Halo project and the invisibility cloak.

Kiera asks Carlos about Alec’s attitude: He seems arrogant. Carlos blames work stress. Why does everyone keep lying? If they’d just share their feelings, this tension might all dissipate.

Kiera goes back to the hotel, where she finds JD is being kicked out. “You are one sad case,” she says. She doesn’t think he’s crazy, and needs to talk about what he said. She confesses her time-traveler status. “I don’t know why I trust you, but somehow I do,” she says, and offers him her couch. He keeps calling her by her full name — weird.

In his office, Dillon questions Alec, who says that the idea that he staged the robbery is pure fantasy. What’s being stolen, by the way, is all military/paramilitary tech. Alec: “Who could use this? Who would want to deploy this in the field?” Liber8, Dillon blurts. Whoever is responsible is high-tech and likes toys, Alec says, so you can bet that “They’re listening all the time. Think about that the next time you leave your computer on.” Paranoia successfully deployed: Dillon puts a sticky over his computer’s camera — which is tapped into, and Neelon is watching.

Carlos responds to a flashing question mark on Betty’s computer desktop. Lucas calls the phone at the desk. Nope, he’s not behind the robberies. Carlos: What’s in it for you? “No quid pro quo. This one’s a freebee,” says Lucas. Carlos: “Why should I trust you?” “Because we both want Betty’s killer to go down,” Lucas says.

Curtis attacks Kiera outside the hotel while she’s with JD and knocks her out, but JD beats him like a pro, sending him running. So JD is a … Protector? Maybe not — but maybe so!

Later, Carlos wakes Kiera on the lobby couch, then gets a call. JD wants to know who attacked her. Long story. His leg isn’t hurting anymore. He can’t explain it. Kiera bets he’s future military. (OK, so maybe he’s not a Protector. I need to stop playing “Guess what’s next in the plot” when I watch TV.)

Kellog visits Alec. “You maneuver. You’re maneuvering me,” Alec complains. His reps are tendering Kellog an offer for all of SadTech. “I only report to you,” Kellog says. Alec: “Fine.” So Kellog is in and the lawsuit is gone.

Kiera and Carlos break into a location Lucas has sent them to. A huge bank of surveillance monitors shows multiple sites, including the desktops of all of the computer cameras at the precinct. Kiera’s suit sees the parkour dude through his invisibility cloak. Together, they’re able to knock him to the ground. “Where’s Neelon?” asks Carlos from the trigger end of a gun.

Back at the precinct, Dillon wants to know what’s up. They’ve found the transmitter. Neelon’s gun matched Betty’s bullet. He lawyers up, so Dillon knocks his face into the desk and calls it “resisting arrest.”

At Kiera’s place, she goes through JD’s things. Scanning a futuristic dog tag, she discovers he has a wife and child. “Who am I?” he asks, entering the room.

Flash-forward back to the citizenship extraction location: Kiera pulls a gun. Chip removal is an illegal business, she says. She asks the doctor, “Why risk it?” People have a right to make their own decisions and all that. Yah, sure. Then she asks her supervising officer what she should do with the people in the waiting room. “Book them all for intent,” he replies. She looks perplexed, but not by some internal moral dilemma she’s battling; turns out young corporate-drone Kiera can’t imagine someone wanting to give up the benefits of the citizen chip.

Current Alec visits current Kiera’s corpse, drills a hole in the back of her skull and starts removing technology — messily.

Continuum airs Fridays at 10/9 C on Syfy.

Advertisement

Here, EW superfans lead the conversation around TV shows. And there are so many shows to talk about! Our community contributors post and share throughout the week on latest episodes.

Want to join? Click on the links below.

Join Now FAQ

Latest Videos

From Our Partners

TV Recaps