EW Community TV Show Episode Guides and Recaps from EW's Community

Faking-It-LiamKarmaAmy-Full.jpg

Image Credit: MTV

'Faking It' recap: Goodbye, Kiam; hello, Karmy?

Season 1 | Episode 6 | “Three to Tango” | Aired May 27, 2014

Topping the list of worst ideas ever is inviting the person you want to lose your virginity to and your best friend into a threesome with you. But then, no one accused Faking It‘s Karma of Mensa-level emotional intelligence. In her quest to lose her V-card to Hester High super-hottie Liam Booker, she’s faked being a lesbian, dragged her BFF Amy into the lie (and since Amy might actually be in love with Karma, that’s been a whole thing), had an affair on her BFF/fake-GF, started a hunger strike and been generally outlandish.

At the end of last week’s episode, “Remember the Croquembouche,” Liam confronted Karma about how conflicted he’s been about hooking up with her when she has a girlfriend — even though Karma insists that she and Amy have an open relationship. Liam has real feelings for Karma (which is exactly what she wanted), so he can’t bring himself to continue their affair (which is exactly the opposite of what she wanted). In a moment of pure panic, Karma suggests that she and Liam can still get it on, with Amy — in a threesome.

Liam is predictably rendered speechless, flustered and all kinds of awkward. He’s a high school guy who has just been propositioned by the hot lesbian he’s crushing on to have a threesome with her and her also-hot girlfriend. When Karma suggests the idea to Amy, Amy is immediately put off and gives her a resounding “no.” Amy is in love with Karma. Why would she want to watch her lose her virginity to someone else? Shane talks Amy into doing the deed, rationalizing that no one asks their best friend to have a threesome with them on a whim. It has to mean that, even if it’s all subconscious, Karma is into Amy that way too … or at least, she might be. 

And it looks like Shane might just be right again. At the threesome, no one knows where to begin. Amy finally takes charge and gets things rolling. When she strips down to her totally un-Amy-like lingerie and kisses Karma, you can practically see the butterflies forming in Karma’s stomach. She’s confused. She likes it. Does she like it? Does she want to like it? Does she just realize that Amy likes it, and there’s an awkward conversation in their future? Who knows, because the second after the kiss ends, Liam grabs Amy for a kiss (based on the advice of his never-had-a-threesome buddy, who says you’re always supposed to kiss the girl you’re less into first during a threesome). Karma is crushed with jealousy, but it’s unclear if she’s more jealous of Liam or Amy. She announces that she can’t go through with it and runs away.

It took six episodes, but it seems that Karma may finally be stepping out of her bubble and wising up to what’s really going on. Personally, I’m prepared for big changes all around after this train wreck. Here’s how I see the post-almost-threesome playing out for all involved:

Liam: Poor Liam is going to be more confused than ever. He’s probably the most emotionally honest high school boy television has ever known, and this is going to do a number on him. He was honest with Karma from the beginning about what he wanted — just a physical thing with a hot lesbian. When she set her sights on making him fall for her, it totally worked (albeit more in spite of her attempts to manipulate him than because of them). He cut off the physical relationship and insisted that he didn’t feel right about being with her when she was in a relationship with someone else. He was already going out on a major limb for the threesome, and now that it’s backfired, he’s going to be left questioning everything about his quasi-relationship with Karma.

Amy: I completely believe that Amy is Karma-sexual, but the kiss with Liam was the first time she’s seemed at all into a guy on the show. I still think Karma is Amy’s OTP. But I wouldn’t be shocked to see her questioning her Karma-sexuality in the worst way possible with a mini, pseudo-crush on Liam right as Karma starts wondering just how much she’s faking things.

Karma: Karma will no doubt have the hardest time dealing with the aftershock of the would-be threesome. It’s clear that she’s either questioning her own feelings for Amy or realizing in a big way that Amy might see her as more than just a friend and not quite reciprocating it. Either is going to be a rough reality check to handle. As much as the Karmy Army will surely want it to be the former (and to result in big kisses all around), I have a hard time believing that our leading ladies will get things wrapped up in such a nice bow (at least this soon).

Don’t mind me; I’m just going to be sitting here, on the edge of my seat, until next week’s episode.

How do you think Karma will react to the almost-threesome? Do you think she’s realizing that she’s in love with Amy too?

Advertisement

Here, EW superfans lead the conversation around TV shows. And there are so many shows to talk about! Our community contributors post and share throughout the week on latest episodes.

Want to join? Click on the links below.

Join Now FAQ

Latest Videos

From Our Partners

TV Recaps